Cheesy Spinach Pancakes
1 cup of Matthews Cotswold Italian 00 flour
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
25 g unsalted butter, melted
300 ml whole milk
500 ml bechamel sauce
300 g soft cream cheese or ricotta cheese
900 g spinach
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Baking time: 20 mins
Flour used: Italian 00
- Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl and make a dip in the centre.
- Whisk the milk and eggs together, then gently pour the mixture into the flour and mix until well combined.
- Add the melted butter and mix.
- Heat up a large frying pan then brush with some butter.
- Ladle a spoonful of the batter into the pan, swirling it around.
- Cook for a few mins then flip and cook the other side for 1-2 mins.
- Once all the pancakes are made, spread them over with cream cheese then add the greens, previously cooked with oil, salt and pepper.
- Roll each pancake up, then cut it into smaller pieces.
- Place all the rolled-up and cut pancakes in an ovenproof dish, greased with some butter, and cover with the bechamel sauce.
- Bake for in a preheated oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6
For softer and fluffier pancakes, make the batter a few hours in advance and leave it to rest in the fridge until it's time to cook them.