Royal Monarchy Tart
120g Salted Butter
180g High Quality White Chocolate, finely chopped
40g Blonde/Caramel Chocolate Chips (you can use white chocolate too)
1 Large Egg
1 Tin of Condensed Milk
180g Plain Flour
1 Tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste
6g Flaked Salt
5 Strawberries OR raspberries, finely chopped
2 Meringues, crushed + 1 for garnish
Prep time: 4 hrs
Bake time: 20-30 minutes
Flours used: Premium Plain Flour
Prepare the crust:
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and 3 tablespoons of ice water.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until the dough just comes together. If the dough is too dry, add the remaining tablespoon of ice water.
- Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle large enough to fit a 9-inch (23cm) tart pan. Gently press the dough into the pan, trim off any excess dough, and prick the bottom with a fork.
Line the tart crust with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Blind bake the crust for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden. Remove the weights and parchment paper, and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the crust is fully cooked. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
Prepare the white layer:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
Gently warm the raspberry jam in a saucepan over low heat, just until it becomes spreadable. Set aside.
Prepare the blue layer:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until the blueberries have released their juices, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water to create a slurry.
- Stir the cornstarch slurry into the blueberry mixture, and continue cooking until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Divide the cooled tart crust into three equal sections.
- Spread the white mascarpone filling in the first section, making sure to keep the filling within its designated area.
- Carefully spread the raspberry jam in the second section, again keeping it within its own area.
- Spoon the cooled blueberry compote into the third section, ensuring that it doesn't mix with the other fillings.
Enjoy your Royal Monarchy Tart at the coronation of Charles!
Thank you so much to Paulina Brzezinska - @paula_life_experience for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page. The Runner up of the FitForKing Competition.