Chocolate and Vanilla Mud Cake
225g Matthews Cotswold Self Raising Flour, sifted
75g cocoa powder
100ml coffee, cooled down
125ml double cream
125ml vegetable oil
3 large eggs
150g caster sugar
75g unsalted butter, softened
125g icing sugar, sifted
25g cocoa powder, sifted
2-3 tbsp double cream
225g unsalted butter, softened
475g icing sugar, sifted
5 tbsp double cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blue food colouring
50g white chocolate, chopped
1-2 tbsp water
Prep time: 40 mins
Bake time: 30-35 mins
Flours used: Matthews Cotswold Self Raising
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Grease and line two 6 inch round cake tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, oil, coffee, double cream and mix with an electric whisk, until everything is blended.
- Add the flour, cacao and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- In the meantime prepare the chocolate and the vanilla buttercreams. With an electric mixer, whisk the butter for 5 mins then add half of the icing sugar and beat for a few mins. Add the remaining sugar and beat for another 2-3 mins. Add the double cream and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add some blue food colouring and mix well. Set aside.
- Repeat the same process for the chocolate buttercream.
- Once the sponges are completely cooled down, assemble and decorate the cake to your liking.
Thank you so much to Gabriella Morelli @bebbasrecipes_and_ph for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page.