makes 1 loaf
Bacon & Cheddar Soda Bread
400g/14oz plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
50-100ml cold water
200g/7oz smoked streaky bacon, fried off until crisp and cooled
85g/3oz mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f/GM6/Aga-baking oven.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl, add the bacon and cheese.
- Mix to a soft dough with the buttermilk, if too dry add a touch of water very gradually. The dough should be soft, not too wet and not too sticky.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently shape the dough into an oblong.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured baking sheet, sprinkle some flour over the top and then make some slashes across the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40mins. Aga – baking oven for 30mins, then roasting oven for 5-10mins or until just lightly browned.
- Take out of the oven, turn upside down and tap the bottom of the bread. It will sound hollow when properly cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack or wrap in a tea-towel until cool.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- This bread is best eaten on the day however it is still good a day or two after. Slice and toast to have with breakfast or brunch. Great with a poached, fried or scrambled eggs
- The trick with this bread is not to over-mix the dough. Bring together as quickly and as gently as possible, keeping it light and airy.