Wholemeal Chocolate Donuts
450g Matthews Cotswold YQ Flour
50g cacao powder
75g caster sugar
75g butter, melted
250ml full-fat milk, lukewarm
2 large eggs
1&1/2 teaspoon fast-action dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
500ml vegetable oil
100g milk chocolate
2-3 tbsp milk
Baker: Gabriella Morelli
Prep time: 15mins, plus 2&½ hours for proving
Cooking time: 15 mins, plus 10 mins for decorating
Flours used: Matthews Cotswold YQ
- Whisk the milk, sugar and yeast together in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add the eggs, butter, vanilla, flour, cacao and salt.
- Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for a few hours or until doubled in size.
- Once ready, punch down the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1.5cm.
- Using a 8-8.5cm round cutter, cut out 12 circles then using a 2-2.5cm round cutter make a hole in the centre.
- Cover the donuts with a tea towel and leave to rest for 30 mins.
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan. Add 3-4 donuts at a time and cook for 1-2 mins on each side.
- Melt the chocolate with the milk.
- Cover the top side of the donuts with the melted chocolate then decorate with some sprinkles.
Thank you so much to Gabriella Morelli @bebbasrecipes_and_ph for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page.