Susie’s Strawberry Streusel Cake
140g unsalted butter, well softened
200g caster sugar
120g Matthews Cotswold Flour, I used half Matthews Cotswold Plain Flour and half Matthews Cotswold Strong White Bread Flour
30g Matthews Cotswold Organic Wholewheat Flour
60g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch sea salt
100g eggs (approximately 2 medium)
120ml full-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300g fresh strawberries, halved or quartered if large
Topping: 60 pecans, chopped
45g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
30g cold unsalted butter
This is one of my favourite recipes for baking during our English strawberry season. It keeps very well for a few days and I like to enjoy it anytime of the day – even for breakfast!
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees fan/190C.
- Butter and line bottom and sides of a 20cm springform baking tin with nonstick baking paper. Combine the flours, ground almonds, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs gradually, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture by hand until the dry ingredients are incorporated, stir in the milk and vanilla, then gently fold in the strawberries, taking care not to break up the fruit pieces. Scrape the mixture into prepared tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 45 minutes, it should be setting and turning golden brown on the top after 45 minutes baking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping by combining all ingredients (I find this easiest way to do this in a food processor) to make a rough crumb topping.
- Gently remove the cake from the oven, sprinkle the topping over the cake, and return to the oven to bake for approximately 20 more minutes or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin before removing the sides.
- I like to serve this cake with slightly sweetened whipped double cream with crushed strawberries folded in.