- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan and grease a 12 hole mini loaf tin with softened butter (option: use a lined 12 hole muffin tin instead).
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Grate the zest of 2 lemons (reserving a small amount of zest to decorate) and beat this into the butter and sugar mixture.
- One at a time, beat in eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Sift in the plain flour, ground almonds and baking powder and using a spatula, carefully fold this into the mixture.
- Add 2 tbsp milk and the juice from one lemon and gently mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the mini loaf holes (around 3 heaped tsp of the mixture in each hole until 3/4 full) and level.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Measure the sifted icing sugar into a bowl and add the juice of a lemon, a tsp at a time until the icing is smooth and runny. (Optional: add a few tsps of Limoncello instead of the lemon juice!)
- Drizzle the icing over the mini loaves and sprinkle with the reserved lemon zest to decorate.
Thank you to Iona Baking for this delicious recipe.