Lemon Boterkoek (Buttercake)
250g Matthews Cotswold Plain Flour
Zest of 2 lemons
Pinch of salt
Extra sugar to sprinkle on top
Baker: Sophie Carey
Makes: 1 large cake
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Flours used: Matthews Cotswold Plain Flour
This delicious Lemon Boterkoek (Butter Cake) is a perfect accompaniment for your tea or coffee. Pure indulgence, packed with sugar and butter - filling your mouth like a wonderful shortbread.
Want to hear more about this recipe? Check out Episode 9 of the Foodbod Pod here now.
- Use a dough hook to mix the butter and sugar with the vanilla and lemon zest
- Add in the egg and mix again until just incorporated
- Add the flour and mix until a dough forms (it will be very soft)
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and give a very gentle knead until it comes together
- Wrap in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 10 minutes
- Grease and line a cake tin, and press the cake dough in, making it as flat as possible on top
- Sprinkle with more sugar and bake at 175 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes
- Ignore the pool of butter and sugar which will form on the top - this will go away as the cake bakes!
- Leave to cool for at least 20 minutes in the tin before turning out.
Traditionally this cake is served cut into 1-inch squares with a cup of coffee
or tea, as pictured.