175g Matthews Cotswold Maizebite Flour
175g Matthews Cotswold Plain Flour
200g unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
50g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
750g golden delicious apples
80g caster sugar
1&1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg white, beaten
1 tbsp demerara sugar
Serve with vanilla ice-cream
Baker: Gabriella Morelli
Prep time: 1 hour
Bake time: 50 mins
Flours used: Matthews Cotswold Maizebite, Matthews Cotswold Plain
- Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of the mixer.
- Add the egg, the yolk and vanilla and beat together for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until a soft ball is formed.
- Wrap it in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- Wash, peel, core and slice the apples about 5 mm thick.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and apples in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out 2/3 of the pastry so that it can cover a 20 cm pie tin, 4 cm deep.
- Poke the pie base all around with a fork then fill with the sliced apples.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut out 10 stripes about 1.5 cm wide.
- Lay 5 stripes horizontally and 5 vertically. Cut off any excess.
- Brush the pie with the egg white then sprinkle with 1 tbsp of demerara sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5 for about 50 mins.
- Let it sit for 10 mins before serving warm with some vanilla ice cream.
Thank you so much to Gabriella Morelli @bebbasrecipes_and_ph for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page.
← Older Post Newer Post →