Baker: Gabriella Morelli
Prep time: 30 mins, plus cooling time
Bake time: 25-30 mins
Flour used: Matthews Cotswold Organic Self Raising
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Grease and line two 5 inch round cake tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, oil, sugar, grapefruit juice and mix with an electric whisk, until everything is blended.
- Add the flour and ground almonds and mix until well combined.
- Add the chia seeds and food colouring and mix gently.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- In the meantime prepare the frosting. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a mixer and beat for a few mins until the desired consistency is reached.
- Once the sponges are completely cooled down, assemble and decorate the cake to your liking.
- Transfer to the fridge and chill for a few hours before serving.
Thank you so much to Gabriella Morelli @bebbasrecipes_and_ph for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page.