Apple Crumble Tart
- 150g Unsalted butter, cold
- 120g Icing sugar
- 300g Cotswold plain flour
- 1 whole egg
- 2g salt
- Mix the icing sugar and butter, until there are no lumps of butter.
- Add the egg slowly, make sure to scrape the bowl down to incorporate it all together.
- Lastly add the plain flour and salt until it forms a dough, making sure not to over mix it.
- Cover the dough in cling film, flatten it out and place in the freezer to harden up.
- Once the dough has been rested, roll it on a floured surface to around 3mm thickness.
- Line a tart tin, pushing the dough down little by little to get a flat base.
- Line the tart pastry with a double layer of cling film ( don’t worry it won’t melt), and fill with rice or baking beans to the top
- Blind bake the tart case halfway, at 160 degrees for around 10-23 minutes
- Once the tart is half blind baked, make sure has cooled down before piping in the almond filling for it not to melt.
- 100g Unsalted butter
- 100g Caster sugar
- 100g Ground almonds
- 50g Cotswold plain flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp Ground cardamom
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Whip up the butter, sugar and spices until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one and the time
- Fold in the flour and ground almond until all comes together
- Set to the side whilst the tart is blind baking
- 4x British apples
- 1 Tbsp Runny honey
- 30g Brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cider vinegar
- 2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Ground cardamom
- Peel the apples and chop in to 1cm chunks.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well for it all to soak up
- Set to the side until the tart assembly
Salted almond crumble
- 130g Salted Butter
- 130g Caster sugar
- 130g Cotswold plain flour
- 100g Ground almond
- 20g Jumbo oats
- 20g Flaked almonds
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground cardamom
Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands to create a crumble texture
Assembly of the tart
- Pipe the almond cream 1/3 of the way into the cooled part cooked tart case
- Spoon in the apples, make sure most of the juice is drained off.
- Carefully place the crumble on top of the apples, pressing slightly to make sure is stays in place
- Bake the tart at 160 degrees for 25 minutes, until the crumple is golden brown.
- Serve the tart warm not hot, with the whipped custard
Whipped Vanilla Custard
- 50g milk
- 150 whipping cream
- 30g egg yolk ( 2 egg yolks)
- 30g sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod split, and seeds scraped out
- Bring the milk, whipping cream and vanilla pod to a boil
- Whip up the egg yolk and sugar until light
- Strain the boiled milk over the egg mixture making sure to keep the vanilla pod for drying
- Add it mixture back into the pan and cook until thick ( 83 degrees )
- Pour into a bowl to cool it down completely.
- Once cooled, place into your mixing bowl and whip up until Fluffy and thick
- This custard is traditionally served cool with a warm pie or crumble
Thank you to the amazing Julia Habgood for creating this recipe to see more of Julias amazing bakes check out her Instagram feed @znookie123.