Easter Hot Cross Buns
2 eggs, beaten
275 ml full-fat milk, lukewarm
50g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fast-action dried yeast
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
500g Matthews Cotswold Strong White Bread Flour
4 tbsp caster sugar
Zest of 1 orange
50g plain flour
4 tbsp water
3 tbsp caster sugar
4-5 tbsp milk
Baker: Gabriella Morelli
Prep time: 3 hours
Bake time: 15 mins
Flours used: Matthews Cotswold Strong White Bread Flour
- Add yeast, sugar, butter and milk to the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a dough hook. Beat until combined.
- Add the flour, eggs, orange zest, salt and spices and knead for 4-5 mins.
- Add the raisins and knead for another minute.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and leave to prove for 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide it into 12 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball.
- Place the 12 balls onto a baking tray, covered with greaseproof baking paper, leaving some space between each one.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 mins.
- Make the crosses. Beat the water into the flour to make a paste. Put it in a piping bag and cut off the tip. Pipe crosses over the buns.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7 for 15 mins until golden.
- Heat up the milk and the sugar in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Brush the buns with the milk while still warm.
- Leave to cool down before serving.