75 g cacao powder
120 caster sugar
3 large eggs
60 ml coffee
60 ml boiling water
60 ml vegetable oil
180 ml double cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
250 g butter, at room temperature
575 g icing sugar
2 tbsp instant coffee
3 tbsp boiling water
50 g 70% dark chocolate
Few tbsp water
Prep time: 10 mins
Bake time: 35 mins
Flour used: Self Raising
- In a large mixing bowl add the boiling water, coffee and cacao. Mix well with a whisker and let cool down.
- Add the eggs, sugar, oil and double cream and whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour and baking soda and mix with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 7 inch tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 180°C/160° fan/gas 4 for about 35 mins.
- Transfer onto a cooling rack and let cool down.
- In the meantime prepare the buttercream. Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and let it cool down. With an electric mixer whisk the butter for 5 mins then add half of the icing sugar and beat for a few mins. Add the remaining sugar and beat for another 2-3 mins. Now pour the coffee into the buttercream and beat until well combined.
- Cut the cooled down cake into 3 disks.
- Spread some buttercream on the first disk then cover with the second disk.
- Spread a generous amount of buttercream on the top and around the cake, then with the help of a spatula scrape until smooth. Transfer to the fridge for a few hours.
- Put the chocolate and water in a glass bowl and melt it in the microwave or over a bain- marie, then use it to make the dripping effect.
- Decorate with a few buttercream swirls.