Recipe for success (Serves 12):
Eton Mess Cake with Baking Video
For the cake:
250g soft butter
250g caster sugar
1sp vanilla extract
200g Matthews Cotswold Self-raising flour
100 ground almonds
100ml whole milk
6 tbsp double cream
200g raspberries and chopped strawberries
300ml double cream
100g icing sugar
300g strawberries, raspberries & blueberries
3 meringue nests
Eton mess cake - recipe and baking video
- Start by heating the oven to 190°C / fan 170°C / gas 5.
- Butter and line a 20cm x 30cm cake tin with baking paper.
- To make the cake sponge, beat together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Crack in the eggs, one by one, and mix between each addition until combined, then add in the vanilla and briefly beat again.
- Mix in the self raising flour, followed by the ground almonds and gently stir in the milk and the double cream followed by the strawberries and raspberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer poked in comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then lift from the tin onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing topping, whip the double cream with the icing sugar until soft peaks form. Wait until the cake is cooled before roughly spreading the cream over the cake and then scatter the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mint and broken meringue pieces.
← Older Post Newer Post →