Vegetable Pie with Parmesan Shortcrust Pastry
175g Matthews Cotswold Plain flour
175g Matthews Cotswold Maizebite Flour
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
180g salted butter, room temperature
4 tbps cold water
2 large aubergines
2 large courgettes
2 large sweet peppers
Parsley, finely chopped
4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
200g cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
- Wash and slice the aubergines, courgettes and peppers.
- Arrange the vegetables on 2 large non-stick baking trays. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 200°C for 15 mins, turning them halfway through. Set aside.
- Make the pastry. Add the flour and butter to the bowl of a mixer and start to mix at a low speed. Add the cheese and water and mix, gradually increasing the speed, until a soft bowl is formed.
- Wrap the pastry with cling film and transfer it to the fridge for 30 mins.
- Get the pastry and cut it in half.
- Roll one half of the pastry out thinly on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle big enough to cover a buttered 25cm x 20cm x 5cm metal pie dish.
- Gently place the rolled out pastry on the pie dish. Poke the base with a fork then add half of the vegetables. Cover with cheese then top with the remaining vegetables.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid and place it on the pie. Press the edges together and trim off any excess.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 for 45-50 mins.
- Cover with foil if it starts to over-brown.
Thank you so much to Gabriella Morelli @bebbasrecipes_and_ph for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page.