Prep time: 15 mins, plus 40 mins for chilling and decorating
Bake time: 35 mins
Flour used: Self Raising
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
2. Grease and line the base of two 6 inches cake tins.
3. Using an electric whisk, mix the sugar, oil, cream, vanilla and eggs.
4. Add the flour and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon.
5. In a cup mix the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.
6. Add the liquid to the cake mixture and stir to combine.
7. Divide the mixture equally between two bowls.
8. Add the red food colouring to one bowl and the blue food colouring to the other one.
9. Pour the batter into the two cake tins and bake for 30-35 mins on the middle oven shelf, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
10. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
11. To make the frosting, use an electric whisk to beat the butter on a slow speed until creamy. Add the cream cheese and continue to beat for a further few minutes. Add the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is thick. Add the double cream and vanilla extract and beat and a medium speed for 2-3 mins.
12. Transfer the frosting to the fridge to set for 30 mins.
13. Cut each cake in half, then decorate by spreading the frosting on each sponge, alternating red and blue layers.
14. Spread some frosting on the top and on the edges of the cake.
15. Decorate with raspberries and blueberries, creating the Union Jack flag.
Thank you so much to GabriellaMorelli @bebbasrecipes_and_ph for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page.