Recipe for success (Serves 12):
The dreamy blend of Earl Grey & Vanilla essence (a.k.a London Fog) for a decadent & delicate bake. The soft sponge is infused with these flavours then doused in an Earl Grey & Vanilla syrup & finished with a silky vanilla cream – a sophisticated, scrumptious & simple summery recipe for you below.
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease two round cake tins (approx 20cm) with butter/cooking spray on the base & sides.
- Using an electric whisk in a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar & butter together for 3 mins until light & fluffy.
- Add in 1tsp vanilla & then the eggs, one by one, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Sift in the flour & baking powder then add the powdered tea. Fold gently while slowly pouring in the milk for a nice moist batter.
- Divide the batter between the two tins & smooth over with a spatula. Bake for 25-30mins, without opening the oven door.
- Test a skewer/knife comes out clean then remove from the oven. Leave to cool in the tins for 15 mins then transfer to wire racks.
- Meanwhile, boil the water, tea bags & sugar together. Once the mixture looks glossy & thinly coats the back of a spoon, about 10 mins, remove from heat & set aside to cool – stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the cream, icing sugar & 1tsp vanilla until thick with soft peaks. Try & if you prefer it sweeter, add more icing sugar.
- Using a straw/skewer, make multiple holes in the surface of the sponges. Pour the syrup over & let soak into the cake.
- Spread 1/2 the cream on top of one cake & then add the other sponge on top. Cover the top with the rest of the cream. With any syrup left over, pour over the top.
- Decorate with loose leaf Earl Grey tea & blueberries
Thank you so much to Emily from @Goodmoodfood.UK for this amazing recipe! If you’d like to see more, please visit her Instagram page.