Classic Victoria Sponge (5 Step Sponge)
200g Self Raising Flour
200g Butter (room temperature, diced, salted)
200g Caster Sugar
Optional: Dash of vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste, or lemon zest
This classic 5-Step/Victoria Sponge recipe takes just 15 minutes to prep and 20-25 mins to bake (plus time to cool). Using Matthews Organic Self-Raising Flour, in just 5 steps you too can bake the perfect Victoria Sponge.
Baker: Sophie Carey
Makes: 1 two layer sandwich cake (8 inch tins)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Flours used: Self Raising
- Add all your ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on a medium speed for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and no large lumps remain
- Divide your mixture between two greased and lined 8 inch cake tins and smooth out with a pallet knife or the back of a spoon
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes, or until they have risen and are a golden brown - a skewer inserted into the cakes should come out clean
- Once baked, remove the cakes from their tins and leave to cool on a wire rack
- Once completely cool, you can sandwich the two layers together with jam and buttercream, or whipped cream - top with a dusting of caster sugar and a strawberry for a sweet finish!
Five Step Victoria Sponge Recipe Video
Sophie Carey walks you through her simple 5-step sponge recipe in the quick video below!