Easy Eight Grain Rolls
500g Eight Grain Flour
10g Fine Sea Salt
7g Dried Yeast (1 sachet)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
280ml Water (lukewarm)
Baker: Sophie Carey
Makes: 9 large rolls
Prep time: 25 minutes (plus up to 2 hours of proving time)
Bake time: (35-45 minutes)
Flours used: Eight Grain Strong Multigrain Flour
Make brilliant Eight Grain rolls (or loaves) every time, with this easy recipe from pro-baker Sophie Carey! Using Matthews Cotswold Eight Grain Flour, you can shape this great granary dough into rolls or a loaf. A delicious side for your dinner spread, these Eight Grain rolls have to be tasted to be believed!
- Add all your dry ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment - remember to keep the yeast on one side of the bowl and the salt on the other!
- Add the water and oil, then turn on your mixer to a slow speed and mix for 2 minutes, until everything is combined
- Once all your ingredients are combined, turn up your mixer to a medium- fast speed and mix for a further 7-8 minutes - the dough should look smooth and shiny and shouldn’t be too sticky
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with cling film or a tea towel, leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it has at least doubled in size
- Tip your risen dough out onto a clean countertop and divide equally into 9 pieces - you could always do more if you wanted mini rolls!
- Take each piece of dough and form a smooth ball by rolling it against the counter, using the heel of your hand to tuck it in on itself
- Pop your shaped rolls onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. You can space them further apart if you don’t want them to touch, or put them closer together to create batch rolls! They will grow in size again during the next prove and in the baking so bear that in mind!
- Cover them gently with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for around 40 minutes, or until they have doubled in size
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Dust the rolls generously with more of the Eight Grain flour to give a rustic feel, then bake them for 25-35 minutes, or until they are a lovely golden brown
- Cool them on a wire rack and try not to tear into them while you prepare your fillings for the rolls!
Watch the Easy Eight Grain Rolls Recipe Video Now
Pro baker Sophie talks you through the Eight Grain dough making process for perfect rolls or loaves every time.