Prep time: 15 mins, plus 40 mins for chilling and decorating
Bake time: 35 mins
Flour used: Self Raising
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Grease and line the base of two 6 inches cake tins.
- Using an electric whisk, mix the sugar, oil, cream, vanilla and eggs.
- Add the flour and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- In a cup mix the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.
- Add the liquid to the cake mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture equally between two bowls.
- Add the red food colouring to one bowl and the blue food colouring to the other one.
- Pour the batter into the two cake tins and bake for 30-35 mins on the middle oven shelf, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, use an electric whisk to beat the butter on a slow speed until creamy. Add the cream cheese and continue to beat for a further few minutes. Add the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is thick. Add the double cream and vanilla extract and beat and a medium speed for 2-3 mins.
- Transfer the frosting to the fridge to set for 30 mins.
- Cut each cake in half, then decorate by spreading the frosting on each sponge, alternating red and blue layers.
- Spread some frosting on the top and on the edges of the cake.
- Decorate with raspberries and blueberries, creating the Union Jack flag.
Thank you so much to Gabriella Morelli @bebbasrecipes_and_ph for providing this recipe. If you’d like to see more, please visit their Instagram page.